- Weekly bookings
- Bookings begin on a Saturday.
- Short stays
- 3 day breaks are available at 70% of the full week price.
- One dog is welcome by arrangement for £20 per week. Dogs must be kept on a lead and not allowed to roam freely. There is a dedicated footpath, good for dog walking, which links the site to the nearby village of Skelton.
- A £100 deposit secures your booking.
The cottage is converted from a 17th century barn next door to our home. It has great character, with exposed beams and stonework. The accommodation has one double bedroom, one twin bedroom and one single bedroom. The upstairs lounge looks onto surrounding fields.
Upstairs the cottage has an open plan lounge, dining area and kitchen with laminate floor, plus a single bedroom. Double doors from the lounge lead onto an outside sun balcony and seating area with stairs leading to the garden. Downstairs the cottage has an entrance with small utility area, bathroom (with over bath electric shower), twin bedroom and a double bedroom.
We have enjoyed our stay stay in Barn Owl. So comfortable and an ideal situation for exploring this beautiful area
The cottage has full central heating and WiFi access. Upstairs has under floor heating, plus a woodburning stove. There is a TV and DVD player in the lounge, plus a TV in one of the bedrooms. The kitchen is fully equipped and has a microwave, fridge freezer and dishwasher. The washing machine and tumble drier are downstairs near to the utility area.
The cottage has it’s own private driveway and patio garden area with a picnic bench.
All bed linen, duvets, tea towels, towels and central heating are provided as part of the hire charge. Two baskets of logs per week are provided for the woodburning stove.
One small/medium size dog is allowed at a charge of £20 per week. The dog must not be left unattended in the property and it must be kept on a lead when outside.
Please read our Terms & Conditions.
A lovely place to stay in this beautiful part of the country
The Local Area
The Cottage is well situated for visiting the Eden Valley and North Lakes. We are 30 minutes from Lake Ullswater, Keswick and Carlisle. All amenities are available in Penrith (10 minutes away). There are two local pubs, serving food within 4 miles and several restaurants and take away's in Penrith. There is a shop & post office at Plumpton (2 miles).
For more ideas of things to do in the local area check out our things to do page
Barn Owl Cottage - Access Statement
We offer a holiday cottage situated 6 miles north of Penrith, near to the Eden Valley, Ullswater, Keswick & Carlisle. We aim to set out our current facilities and services on offer to enable all visitors to make an informed decision as to whether we meet their particular access needs. The cottage is a 17th Century barn conversion, on two floors, with an upstairs lounge. The age and style of the property means that it is not suitable for wheelchair access, or for anyone who has difficulty in using stairs.
- We have phone and email availability for pre arrival information.
- WEBSITE ACCESSIBILITY.
- Printed, e-mail and website versions available. Printed text available in large format if required.
- Public transport is not available. Nearest train station is 6 miles.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
- The car parking area is immediately in front of the cottage on level ground.
- There is level access form the car park area through a gateway into a paved patio/garden area that leads to the front door.
- To the rear there is access from the car park area, via a flight of wooden stairs to the upstairs outside balcony area. Access from here into the lounge is through a low double doorway (5ft high). This is also an additional fire exit.
- Directly into the utility area and hallway.
- Bathroom and two bedrooms also on the ground floor.
- There is a threshold at the entrance doorway into the paved utility area and then level access throughout the ground floor.
- Level access to double bedroom, twin bedroom and bathroom.
- Bathroom with electric over-bath shower and vinyl flooring.
- Fitted carpets in bedrooms and hallway.
- Lighting is wall lights and spotlights.
- Stairs with fitted carpet from lower floor to first floor. Small landing halfway.
- Open plan living, dining and kitchen area with laminate wood floor, under floor heating and wood burning stove. Level flooring.
- Doorway off lounge, with two steps down to the single bedroom. Room on two levels with sloping ceiling and restricted head height at the far side of the room.
- Low (5 feet) double doors lead from lounge to outside balcony. Deep step down onto the balcony. Timber decking so care needs to be taken during wet and frosty weather
- Set of timber stairs lead from balcony down to the car parking area. Care needs to be taken during wet and frosty weather.
- If you require any assistance at any time, please ask as we want your stay to be as comfortable as possible.
- There are evacuation procedures – we are available to assist.
- There is very poor network coverage for mobile telephones inside the cottage. A signal can usually be obtained if you walk up the lane to the main entrance. Please give our landline telephone number for any emergency or general contact.
- Free WiFi is available in the cottage.